ACHIEVING A HORMONAL BALANCE BY AMY MCCOMB (HERBALIST)
There are several factors that go largely unnoticed by us in our daily lives that affect our hormones, often more that we may realize.
The first is the presence of artificial light at night. It is a relatively recent occurrence that we have had electricity. For a long time, when the sun went down we were aligned with nature and, like most other animals and took it as a cue that it was our rest time. At the most, we had candle light at night. Nowadays, the sun sets and it is still all on! Literally. We have television, lights and other electronic devices plugged in and going well into the night. This really affects our pineal and pituitary glands; this can cause girls to menstruate earlier and completely affect hormone balance for the worse. Exposure to artificial lights at night and being near a plug while you are sleeping is best avoided if you want to support your body’s natural rhythms.
The more that we are exposed to natural moon light through the month, the better and the more you will observe your cycles naturally come into rhythm.
Other factors that come into play are xenoestrogens, and other short path estrogens from plastics, pollutants the atmosphere etc. Not to mention medications, eg the birth control pill which technically is simulating the hormone balance that makes your body think you are pregant. As well, as soon as you start taking the pill your body stops the release of eggs from the ovaries making your body think it is the same age as when you started taking the pill.
There are many many things to be avoided and also many many things to walk towards if you would like to have great hormone balance and avoid breast cancer. One of the best tricks to avoid breast cancer is to not wear a bra as these contraptions cut off lymphatic circulation to the area and if women did not wear them there would be roughly half the incidences of breast cancer.
Here’s a few herbs that you can use for optimal hormone balance:
- Motherwort- tones and supports the uterus, stopping menstrual cramps, headaches,and greatly alleviating PMT. Regulates blood sugar, calming and is great stress relief.
- Shepherd’s Purse- stops haemorrhaging, has been used by midwives around the world for hundreds of years adn is a great hormone balancer during menopause, especially for those with symptoms such as heavy bleeding during their periods/ moontimes.
- Hawthorn- uterine and heart tonifier. Great for helping regulate blood pressure during late pregnancy (and other times as well).
- Damiana- hormonal tonic, specifically helps ovarian functioning. Boosts and helps regulate serotonin levels, feel good molecules in the brain. Helps to relax, quite literally helping to relax muscles as well. Wonderful herb of passion.
- Cranesbill- also supports ovarian functioning and supports the whole sacral area. Opens and clears the gall bladder meridian, stopping bloating symptoms.
- Licorice root- supports the adrenal glands, the root cause of many symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
- Maca- Wonderful root tincture that increases libido, and effectively alleviates menopausal symptoms, moods, hot flushes etc.
- Croneswort- A plant of the ‘crone’ of wisdom, this wild herb is a great hormone balancer and also works with the third eye. Helps to align with our soul purpose and follow our inner vision. Strong bitter and great particularly when going through menopause.
- Feverfew- Lifts and clears heat in the liver, stopping migraines and headaches on the spot and alleviating anger or frustration (classic sign of excess heat in the liver).
- Chickweed- Supports the ovaries and thyroid gland, all part of the overall hormonal system.
- St.John’s/Joan’s Wort- Reminds the pituitary of its optimal functioning, which relates to overall hormone balance. Also support the nervous system, the centere of which is directly over top of the adrenals, and vital to hormone balance.
Hormonal imbalances often come down to low adrenal functioning and support, or poor liver functioning. Maca and Licorice and Damiana all support the adrenals while a few liver support herbs are the following:
- Dandelion- Liver and Kidney support. Works particularly well for many women going through menopause, especially when used with Maca and/or Shepherd’s purse, seems to be a perfect combination.
- Tanekaha- Blood cleanser, self & ancestral support. Liver detox.
- Kumarahou- Clears blood and skin. Great if you need a hand making space for your own self in your life.
- Yellow Dock- Blood and liver tonic. Clears heavy metals from the blood and body.
- Energetically Viper’s Bugloss (some of you call it blue borage) is an excellent wild herb for clearing and waking up energy centers- works well, as essentially menopause is a full body awakening. Also clears heavy metals. Works similarly to garnet.
- Stress-Less- contains Motherwort, St.John’s wort, Licorice and more…the mixture of all these herbs provides benefits for a wide variety of the above-mentioned symptoms.
- Worry Ease- also contains several of the above herbs.
- Balance First- combination that deals to the root cause of hormone imbalance and is aimed to rebalance some of the core issues and alleviate symptoms longer term.
- UP- aimed to do exactly that! Contains several of the above herbs as well. ‘Up’ helps to boost serotonin levels and maintain an optimal sense of well being. Supports thyroid functioning as well which is an integral part of overall hormone balance.
And if you’d like further consultation please contact:
021 897 874
I do mail order, plant readings and specially made mixes for people: